Mountain Mary's is located in the small town of Eagle River, in the pristine Eagle Glacier Valley of the 495,000 acre, Chugach State Park in South Central Alaska.
Mountain Mary's is a labor of love. Love of herbs, nature and a more natural healthy life. MM's started in a kitchen 17 or so years ago, morphed into a store front and back to the home shop that it is today.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Kitchen Cosmetics Blog Party!

I'm so glad my friend Cindy (Sagescript Institute and Colorado Aromatics) asked me to join in this Blog party. I don't blog often enough, I usually convince myself that I have nothing to say, lol, but subjects like this are near and dear to my heart, as these are the things I love and enjoy! Thanks Cindy for getting me off my butt! :O)

I have always liked the do it yourself approach to most things. I also believe that if you can do it inexpensively and with things you already posses, all the better. I love the natural approach...so with that in mind...open your cupborads & refigerators and get 'beautified" without breaking your bank!


Coffee Body Scrub

Coffee tightens and rejuvenates skin (and who doesn't love the smell of coffee?!), raw sugar exfoliates (contain calcium, iron and vitamins) and is antibacterial, and olive oil seals in moisturize.

Ingredients
2 cups of coarse (to fine, dependant on your preference)ground coffee
1/2 cup Turbinado raw sugar (you can sub any kind of sugae, however there will be more benefit form the less processed sugars)
3 Tbsp olive oil (or other oil of your preference)

Instructions

Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Take a warm bath or hot shower to open your pores and hydrate your skin. Rub the coffee mixture into your skin in large circles with even, firm pressure. Shower to rinse, pat dry, and follow with unscented body lotion or light vegetable oil.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Lemon Salt Glow
Sea salts(rich in minerals and microelements) bring a healthy glow to dull, dry skin, exfoliates it, and helps it better benefit from the antioxidant properties of lemon and the nutrition of almond oil(rich in proteins and vitamin D).

Ingredients

½ cup sea salt (there are many to choose from, any one will work)
½ cup sweet almond oil (you can substitute other skin loving oils)
½ tsp finely grated lemon zest

Instructions

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Before showering, stir the ingredients again, then apply to body in firm scrubbing motion with hand or soft washcloth. Step into the shower and let power of the water stream rinse off the mixture.

I'll be posting other recipes on my other blog that I also do not spend enough time on :O) http://peacefullivingnews.blogspot.com/

For more on the Blog Party go here: http://sagescript.blogspot.com/2010/01/kitchen-cosmetics-blog-party.html

2 comments:

  1. Great recipes Mary - and easy! Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That coffee one sounds great; I'll have to try it! I make a lemon one similar to yours except I add some green tea to it, too, for the antioxidents. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete